1. Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
2. Add the chickpeas (drained and rinsed), garam masala, turmeric, ginger, tomatoes, lemon juice, and about 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. This should be moist and stewlike, but not soupy; add a little more water, if needed.
3. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt.
4. Puree in a food processor until smooth then dry in a food dehydrator.
In the field:
5. Rehydrate with treated water until it is the consistency of hummus. Serve with naan or pita.